Monday, January 30, 2012

No-Show

Sigh. It's the time of year that I get bored. I don't like constantly riding indoors but with all of the rain, it's not really possible to ride outside, not to mention that I'm a wimp and I don't want to ride in the icy rain! Also, the cost of our jumping lessons has doubled, therefore I can no longer afford them every week so I'll be going just monthly.

So now would be the perfect time to go to a horse show. I haven't been to one since July, so... 6 months. I think it's time for another! I love horse shows because it gets us out and about, I get to show off our skills and get compared by a professional to other horses, so we learn what we need to work on. Not to mention that I'm also a sucker for ribbons ;) But... there are no shows.

Can never have too many of these :)

I was toying with the idea of going to an all-around english schooling show this past weekend which would have been a ton of fun - english pleasure, hunter hack and dressage suitability classes - but it was more expensive than I would've liked to pay, I didn't have a whole lot of time this week to wash Jetta, clean tack and get the trailer ready due to two midterms (yuck). Plus that'd mean I would have to get someone to cover my shift at work which, 1) always ends badly and 2) I need the hours! So no show for me.

I was excited to see that there's another one of the same shows in February - perfect! Except... I have a dressage team clinic that day. Phooey. It would probably be possible to do both, but that wouldn't be fair to Jetta.

The other options include a dressage schooling show February 25th-26th. I told myself I didn't want to do any schooling shows, only league shows so that way I can qualify for awards and not go to a bazillion schooling shows instead. But... if I want to show soon, this is it. There's two league shows in March which look promising.

Then comes another problem - hunter/jumper show or recognized dressage show? Every single year I plan on going to a recognized show just for the experience and the higher level of competition but without fail I never get to go. This year there's a recognized show earlier in the year (since I won't make it to the summer one, again). But the same weekend is a large (and only local) hunter/jumper show that I was originally planning on going to. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

The one thing I am planning on is the Inavale HT - June 22nd to 24th! I'm definitely not missing this one. I've planned my whole summer around it already, lol.

Other than that, I'm waiting for some local jumping/eventing schooling shows to come up on the calendar. I'm so ridiculously impatient. It's a month into 2012 and they still don't have their calendars for the year up! *Scoffs*

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the lack of shows this time of year. The weather here has been really nice, the boys are going well... and there's nothing till end of March/early April. Well, not unless I want to haul 2 hours, which I'm just not up for right now. Sigh... maybe I just need to psych myself up for something? At least you've got summer plans! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete