Thursday, February 19, 2015

I Live

I feel like I've been running non-stop these last couple weeks and haven't had a moment to breathe, let alone blog!

So many things happening. I got a second job, so I've been working six days a week. That's been fun. But I absolutely adore my new job at a research lab, so it isn't all bad.

I guess the biggest and most exciting bit of news... I GOT INTO VET SCHOOL!!!! I'm completely over the moon. It hasn't really quite sunk in yet that I am actually going to attend veterinary school. This is something I've wanted to do for most of my life and I was pretty crushed after not getting in last year. So far I've been accepted into University of Florida and Oregon State University. I'm still waiting on hearing from Washington State University, but I'm hopeful that they'll accept me as well, especially since I was on their alternate list last year. Now the tough decision of deciding where I want to go...

In other news, Misty had a serious person come to look at her and I thought it was the most absolute perfect home. I was so excited. Then came the vet check. She passed it, but the vet gave her a positive 1 on her right hind hock and a 0.5 on her left hock. He thought due to her past as a ranch/roping horse, that she was probably fusing her hocks. Other than that, she passed with flying colors. She wasn't sore any where else, which is a great indication that her hocks aren't that serious since she'd have soreness elsewhere for compensating if they were more of an issue. My regular vet doesn't think that she'd be fusing this young, but she agreed that it wasn't a big deal, that most horses would have at least one joint that would flex slightly positive and a 1 is pretty minimal on a scale of 1-5. I've had Jetta flexed before when she was 6 and she actually had the same result (from the same vet too). He thought she'd need injections down the road, but four years later she's still doing perfectly fine. So I didn't think this was a big deal.

The potential buyers however, overreacted and backed out. So bummed. They basically interpreted the results as "she will only be sound with regular joint injections doing flat work". Which I don't think is true at all. Sure, she may need injections down the road. Maybe when she's 12-15 after doing regular jumping for a few years. But it's only going to be jumping 2'6". And she has been perfectly sound for the past two years. Sigh. They originally were planning on doing x-rays for any positive flexions but then decided they didn't want to spend the money on x-rays, which I think is silly. When I sold Tux, he had a positive 0.5 on one of his hocks, but the vet advised the buyer that x-rays probably weren't necessary. That was two years ago and I just got an update on him the other day that he's doing great and schooling second/third level movements!

Anyways, more interested people are coming to see her this weekend, so fingers crossed.

And of course, since you made it through this wordy post, I give you lots of pony pictures from today. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous lately and I can't get enough of being out in the sunshine.

The Dork getting some grazing time

And taking time to smell the flowers

Gorgeous sunset

Being bad

And being good

Attempting to take a pretty spring confo shot. Not really succeeding...