Yesterday we rode for 15 minutes about and Jetta was great. Today after lunging, Jetta looked fine, so I hopped on and I rode for about 30 minutes. She was pretty good, save for a few moments of trying to get on her forehand, trying to canter when I wasn't asking for it and not picking up the correct lead a few times - the usual stuff - but just every so often she'd limp. Ugh. I felt like she was about 85% fine, but the other 15% slightly ouchy. She's just take one or two limp-y steps and then she was back to normal. I did ride her without boots, but I felt like she would have done the same thing in them. No to mention she was so happy when I took them off. She kept kicking out with her front feet, lol. Plus I just wouldn't want to ride with them in the show. They're just ugly and I feel like they inhibit her movement just the slightest bit.
But really, speaking of these boots (they're Old Macs) they are actually pretty handy. They're great for rehabbing a horse not in work, medications (like my poultice) and I think they'd be great for going on trails for just walking, but I don't really like them all that much for arena work. Even with having them on for several days in a row, they haven't rubbed one bit! And I kind of like the closure system, not too difficult to use and absolutely no worries about it coming off. I still want a pair of Easyboots or Renegades though...
Once I realized that the show wasn't going to happen I started looking for other league shows. But guess what? There are none. At least no shows that are league shows - of course there's plenty of schooling shows, and we may go to at least one of those, and a few recognized shows, but I don't think we're ready to do recognized, not to mention that I don't want to spend around $200 for one day of showing in only two classes. And if I'm going to show, I want my points to count for something!
The league shows that are happening are either way too far away, on a Sunday when I work (we all know how well that works trying to get a day off, just a disaster waiting to happen with my workplace). I'm definitely not willing to drive over two hours away. Just not gonna happen.
So where are all the shows!?!?!? I don't understand. Ok, well I guess I sort of do with the economy and all that but really? Nothing? I'm actually a little ticked at this right now. Childlike or not, I'm feeling pouty about this hitch in my show season get-up. At least I did find several combined tests we're hoping to go to and a couple h/j shows. Still though.
Must resist urge for retail therapy. I guess I'll just finish off my supply of Easter candy chocolate eggs....
ETA - This part is for Kelly, who asked how I find shows. It depends on what shows you're looking for. For me, I am more than happy to ride in basically any show. Dressage, hunter, jumper, eventing, flat classes, trail, you name it I'll do it. I love horse shows.
- So for dressage shows, I keep an eye on my state's dressage society website - they list all of the league, recognized and schooling shows as well as the prize lists and entry forms.
- Also look at your states's H/J association website and region's eventing website if that's something you're interested in. (If you don't know what region you're in, google it).
- Check breed associations. There's a Thoroughbred Exhibitor group in my state that has some schooling shows and the state Quarter Horse association that also holds some good shows in my area.
- Some areas will have other websites for groups that hold shows all over the area/state.
- Since I'm part of my state's dressage society, that membership earns me a subscription to a magazine, Flying Changes, that is distributed in the NW and has a list of events in the back for eventing, dressage, combined driving and jumping. There are also ads for some shows in there.
- Another source, free magazines, for example in my area, I think NW Rider is one of them, often has the show entry forms for local all-around schooling shows in the area.
- For everything else though, I have several barns that I know of that hold shows that I always like to go to. Every so often I check their website calendars for what events are going to be happening and for several barns I am on their email list (they don't have a website) so I get notified of upcoming events.
- And lastly, a lot small shows will list their events on craigslist, so it can't hurt checking every so often on their, as well as scanning bulletin boards at feed and tack stores.
- Everyone else, please feel free to add to my list!