Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February Goals

I haven't made monthly goals in a while since, well, I didn't really think I was doing enough to actually meet those goals. They aren't worth making if you don't actually work towards them! Then when Jetta started acting up, my only goal was to get her to stop bucking and rearing and not fall off! Well we succeeded at that, but now I think it's time for some new goals that we actually try to work towards.

Spring is coming!!


February Goals:

  1. Work on being attentive to all aids in every movement - This involves getting her forward, especially at the walk. In the trot and canter the slightest pressure from the leg sends her forward, but not so much at the walk. Then when we try to do harder movements, such as shoulder-in, haunches-in, leg-yield, I find that she's really not listening enough to perform these movements well. Our downward transitions are in need of eternal help, but I need to school these transitions more seriously to get any actual results.
  2. Get a video of me riding so that I can see how we look - I like having videos of myself so that I can see my position and how effective I'm being as a rider. Plus it's always great to look back and see how you and your horse have changed! This will be the more challenging goal since it means I have to drag ML out to the barn with me to get her to video and then actually figure out how to get it off the camera and onto the computer...
  3. Try to go for a trail ride - and another more challenging goal since I don't want to go out on the trails alone and coordinating schedules can be hard. But it would be nice to get out of the arena!
I tried to make these goals just a little more general and easy since I was finding that my past goals were hard to achieve since I got busy and forgot about them. So, hopefully I can achieve these!

1 comment: