Monday, October 31, 2011

Tree Trunks

Are what Jetta has for legs. Sigh. Mare, what am I going to do with you?!

I came out to the barn last night and found this:




At first I was like, ok, she's stocked up, but then once I pulled her out of the stall I saw that she was really stocked up. The pictures definitely don't do them justice.

I immediately grabbed a lunge line and brought her into the arena to see if she was lame. She trotted off just fine with those massive legs, though to my amateur eyes I may have detected a bit of shortness on her right hind (the biggest leg) and a bit more clumsiness, but that's probably something best attributed to her freakin humungo legs.

I saw the BO walk by and asked her if she had noticed her legs. I was a bit ticked that she hadn't texted me that my horse's legs are three times their normal size. Usually she's super good about letting me know if Jetta is just a little bit off, and I'd say that this was more than just a little bit. "She's fine." Was her response. Uhhh, but her legs are ginormous! "It's called stocking up, she's been in her stall for the weekend. It's normal." No, it's not. And duh, I know what stocking up is. I wouldn't be so alarmed if they weren't so huge, but then again, I didn't ride her Friday or Saturday so she's been stuck in the stall for a bit, but she's never done this in the three years I've owned her. Not when she was on stall rest, not last year at this barn, never. The BO said she turned her out on Friday, but that she was in all day Saturday. I wish I knew when the swelling started.

So I'm thinking a) it's just stocking up and I'm being paranoid and should stop stressing since she isn't lame on it, b) she bruised, pulled or ripped a tendon/ligament in her leg while on turnout or c) she's had an allergic reaction to something. Her bedding was the same (obviously because it hadn't been cleaned in, oh, what looked like at least a day or so, grrrr) but she had been fed something else. I ran out of grain (which is another rant against the BO who only told me two days before Jetta was out, and I thinking that "low" meant maybe a week of grain left, waited until the weekend when I could go home and get the grain) so she had to feed the barn grain for two days until I was able to bring her food. So it could possibly be that, but I don't think it's very likely.





Such a pretty girl.

Are you done yet? My food's waiting...
 After lunging Jetta for about 20 minutes, where she showed no reluctance to move, pivoted fine on her right hind and even backed very willingly. I put her away and decided that I would ride her lightly the next day.

Today I come out and her hind feet are just as massive as yesterday. Why???? I pulled her out and made her trot out again, but still nothing. Maybe just a tad short on the right hind, but it's minute and not consistent. The kind of thing that someone like me would come up with when I stare long enough at any horse. She's tracking up nicely, doesn't mind pivoting, transitions well, etc, etc.

I ended up taking her for a long trail walk and then bringing her back to the barn and wrapping her hind legs. Of course all my standing wrap gear is at home and I just don't have two and a half hours to drive home and get it, so I borrowed someone else's wraps and then went and bought some more for myself. I'll go re-wrap her legs tonight after my bio midterm...

Before is on the left and after I lunged/walked her is on the right. There's improvement, but I still don't understand why. So frustrating.







All wrapped up... with too short borrowed wraps.


6 comments:

  1. At first I was going to say that you are freaking out over stocking up. I understand you have never had that problem before but that does not really prove that it cannot suddenly happen. Steady(my TB) is out on pasture 24/7 except bad weather. He is stalled in bad weather and 99% of the time never stocks up, even if it is a couple days in a row. If I take him to a new barn he stocks up EVERY time. Why? I could not tell you but it does happen. He is not sore, lame at all just stocked up. But if it is just stocking up then 20 or so minutes of walk/trot it should all go away. By the last photo(though pics can be deceiving) it looks like she did not loose all "stocking" or "swelling" on her RH after work and it also looks like is is going up her canon which would be the other concerning thing. If it were me I would keep her in light work and keep a close eye on it. Though I would not be all that upset at the BO over it because I would not call someone over what appears to be stocking up and no sign of lameness. Also if it makes you feel any better I run out of feed pretty regularly and have no one to blame but myself..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she's sound, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like she just stocked up, which is pretty darn normal, especially if they exercise one day, then stand around. I've had Izzy 2.5 years. She's done it once. I don't know why, but it wasn't a problem. (Although yes, I did call my BO at the airport and have her tell me it wasn't a big deal.)

    As for the grain... if you need a week's notice to get it replaced, maybe you should check it periodically. It would be nice if your BO always remembered to call you about little things like that, but it also takes about 2 seconds to do by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you checked her for scratches? My mare swelled like mad when she got scratches last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No scratches and her temp is 100% normal. So I'm hoping its just random and will go away soon. I don't like it when my pony has cankles!

    ReplyDelete