Thursday, October 20, 2011

Acrobatics and Another Horse

I like Thursdays. I get to sleep in a bit, then head out to the barn before class. Today I got to ride another horse - remember Katy? Her owner broke (or rather, shattered) her finger and had to get surgery on it this week, so this means that I get to ride Katelyn.

Today I got on her first, and after a breif reminder that both legs = forward she was super good. I like riding her a lot, but she's definitely very different from riding Jetta!

I worked on collecting her and walk-canter transitions. I popped her over a few jumps to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything. Then we went galloping! Poor Katy, she probably hates me. This person who hasn't ridden her in months jumps on and makes her work really hard, getting her in trouble for being lazy then not only jumps her, but makes her run flat out in the field. Such a hard life. We then went for a walk on the trails... the slowest walk of my life... but I figured that she earned it after being so good for me.

And I had a video, yet it won't upload again. Sigh. I guess I'll have to take my phone into the store and see if they can figure it out. Its worked before - it says "uploaded" but its not on youtube. Technology, what can you do? I promise that there'll eventually be some videos on here!






This is Paris, the barn dog and my trail buddy :)

It was a nice difference from riding Jetta. I can't decide whether I prefer a hot horse (Jetta) versus a lazy horse (Katy). They both have their benefits and drawbacks, lol. Anyways, then I just lunged Jetta in side reins. Holy cow. I'm glad I decided to lunge! Before I even asked her to move off she took off trotting and leaping and kicking. Dang. If I moved my lunge whip at all or if she heard a loud noise she'd take off again. And she was wired. She didn't try hardly at all to reach down and stretch in the side reins and if she didn't have them on she would've looked like a giraffe.

By the end she had settled down and was doing well, but I was glad I didn't ride!


Good pony at the end!


2 comments:

  1. Love the black and white shot in the cross ties. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy looks like a sweetie!

    Scarface seems lazy, but I think a lot of that is a result of being trained for western pleasure. When he's feeling fresh, he doesn't try to run or anything, he just kicks his back end up in the air. I don't mind hot horses as long as they're patient. When I ride my dad's mare, she gets cranky and doesn't want to stand still. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete