Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Life as Usual

Well, not too much excitement is happening over here. Jetta had the weekend off while I was at home and ML rode her on Monday. ML leased Miss Katy last year so now that Katy has a new home, ML is horse-less so several of us at the barn have taken pity on her and lent her our horses for a ride or two :) I hope she gets a horse soon so we can all go riding together! We are now a group of four that all have horses at the same barn and go to the same school, so we really enjoy hanging out at the barn together.

On a related note, what is with barn drama?! I hate, hate, hate barn drama, yet it seems that almost every barn I board at has some. Counting down the days until I no longer have to board at this barn. While I could move barns right this minute if I wanted to, the problem is that there is no where that is as nice or as inexpensive as this place. Most barns charge at least $100 more for the same or worse care and I can't afford that extra $100, not to mention that there are some people at the barn that I love to hang out with and I'd really miss them! Two more years, two more years. It's sad that I'm only in my first month of being back at the barn and I'm already disliking it. Sigh...

My parents got me
a cake from Sweet Life.
Best. Cake. Ever!
Anyways. My b-day was yesterday and it was a pretty good day (minus the barn drama). Except for the rain and the fact that I had class. Oh well. My new roommates were super awesome and made me a cake and then took me to dinner. Now I have two cakes (one from my parents). Help! I'm going into cake overload! I'm currently trying to enlist friends to come eat cake :]

I have survived my first week at school with no emotional break-downs (success!) and have started taking an Intro to Equine Science class, which is the most absolutely basic equine class you can think of and it's a prerequisite to get into other Equine Science classes as well as a requirement to minor in Equine Science. Guess what we learned in lab the other day? How to lead and halter a horse! So exciting (not). We stood in the rain for an hour while we learned this. But it's good for the few non-horsey people in the class after all it is a basic necessary skill. Hopefully as we get farther into the curriculum I might actually learn something new. I'll keep you updated!

So yeah, that's life right now. I'm going to ride Jetta this evening and hope for a break in the rain so we can go for a trail ride. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. A good way to avoid barn drama is to simply refuse to participate. Period. Don't talk about it, don't listen to it.

    That, or move to an awesome barn of all grown ups. <3 my barn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say this was a teen/youth drama thing, but unfortunately not. It was an adult who really wasn't acting all that grown up! I avoid drama like the plague, yet someone always tries to involve me... Lalala, I'm not listening! If someone could find me a drama-free barn that fit my criteria I would love them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eww, barn drama. So not fun. I've been pretty lucky with barn drama. Of the 2 places I board Scarface, one was pretty much drama free (while I boarded there, but after I left, it got totally crazy with the owners divorcing). The other barn was a bit drama-y, though a lot of it stemmed from one person. Maybe there was more, but I'm pretty oblivious...

    I'm also in an Introduction to Equine Science class. We don't have lab, but yours sounded pretty boring. Mine started super basic, but now has gotten pretty technical with feed formulations and that.

    Happy belated birthday! Mine was yesterday. I got a birthday McFlurry and on Monday when I go home for Canadian Thanksgiving, I will get birthday pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my class will get more in depth. I'm really looking forward to taking a equine nutrition class and equine exercise class. Happy belated birthday to you too! Mmm, pie sounds good, but I've had so much sugar the past few days I don't really want to even think about anything sweet, lol!

    ReplyDelete