Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Buck, the movie

I finally saw it! And I enjoyed it. It was a documentary, but not boring. It follows Buck Brannaman in his daily life with flashbacks to how he grew up. You meet his family and watch him do his clinics. If you get a chance, you should also read his book. It reminded me a lot of riding with my awesome trainer, JF. Probably because she gave me his book to read years ago, and also because the rope halters that we use come from the Double Diamond company and are designed by Buck (I just realized this a little while back). Funny what a small world it is! She has a small barn not too far away from where I live and every summer I used to go and live with her for a couple weeks and we'd train horses all day long and I loved it. We rode western and she started a lot of colts. She's an awesome, no-nonsense trainer, but she is by no means a mean or harsh trainer and she has a background in natural horsemanship.

Also, every summer she'd have a dressage trainer from Utah come and do a clinic and he really reminded me of Buck! Same hat and outfit, haha. He's a "western dressage" trainer that does classical dressage of the French persuasion. His name is Clay Wright, and if you have an opportunity, check him out! He's a great clinician and trainer. My favorite :) I remember most hanging out with everyone after the clinic when we'd have a potluck and everyone would share their horse stories. The movie just kind of reminded me of those times :]

Side note - Don't forget to think up name ideas! I need all the help I can get with naming this horse :) While there's no prize, you do get the satisfaction of knowing that you thought up a wonderful name for an awesome little (well, actually ginormous) horse! Go here to leave a comment with your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment