Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weekend Recap

I'm not very good at blogging during the summer. There always seems to be a million and one other things that I could/should be doing, including riding my horse who is currently lazing around in the pasture. Sigh.

Anyways, my terrible weekend. Now that it's over it doesn't seem all that terrible and I've had a good start to the week so far.

Friday - This was the day where nothing seemed to go right. I was planning on taking Katy for one last trail ride, bathing her, finishing my very last quiz in my animal science class, then giving a riding lesson and letting Katy's new owners come and get her. Almost none of that happened. First, our neighbors got their driveway cemented. Ignoring the fact that we live in the country and it is very bizarre to cement your mile long driveway, the problem was that since they moved into the previously uninhabited and beautifully empty piece of property, they have fenced their whole property so access to the trails is limited and must be done by crossing their driveway. Which I couldn't do because of their wet cement driveway. I'm sure that they would not have appreciated Katy-sized hoofprints at all. So the last trail ride was out. Then, Katy's new owners called to say that the mom had fallen off her horse and cracked a rib, so she wouldn't be out to get Katy despite the fact that I was all prepared for them. So Katy no longer needed a bath. I then got to work on my homework which was a painfully long and drawn out process because the system (it's an online course) kept bouncing me out of the quiz that I was halfway through resulting in me having to email the teacher and have him reset the test and then start all over again. Twice. Geez. I finally finished that though. And then my lesson called and canceled. Seriously? I rode Jetta and that was it.

Saturday - An absolutely beautiful day and I had to work all day. I usually only work half the day from 1 until 8 because I work part time. Saturday, however, they decided that I needed to work from 10am until 6pm. For apparently no reason. The weird thing is that they double scheduled the vet tech assistants so there was two of us all day. Definitely not necessary. And I also found out that the girl that I had asked to cover my shift on Sunday so I could go to the horse show had decided that she didn't want to. Not that she couldn't, but that she didn't want to. No one else was available because they were busy/out of town. But I figured it was ok since Sundays are usually super slow and they had double scheduled the vet tech assistants again.

Sunday - The icing on the proverbial cake. Basically a disaster. I wake up at 5 am so I can feed the horses and dog I'm sitting while the owners are away. I get the trailer all loaded and we head up to the show at 6am. It's two and a half hours away. We get there without getting lost and my Materiale class is almost the first thing up. I quickly saddle and warm up in 30 minutes, not having time to braid. We do our Materiale class, being the only one in it! It wasn't too bad, though Jetta fought me on the transition from canter to walk in one direction. Definitely need to work on that. We got a 68.5% on the Materiale which wasn't too bad. There were two 3-year-olds in the Materiale before me, getting a 70% and 70.4%. Our score was broken down into a 7 on the walk, 6.5 on the canter and trot, and a 7 on general impression. Not too shabby in my opinion. Afterwards I untack Jetta and get her all settled with her hay and water. I braided her and groomed her all perfectly. Then I get a call from my work. I needed to come in. Apparently the other vet tech assistant that was supposed to be working couldn't come in because he had a death in the family. And I was two and a half hours away at a horse show. I told them I couldn't come in because I was out of town and that I was really, really sorry that I wasn't able to be there. They sounded pissed. This made me really upset. I was supposed to be at work, but had mistakenly supposed that it would be fine because someone else was going to be working. I felt absolutely terrible. So I ended up calling back and offering to be in at 1:30pm. I scratched my last two classes and loaded Jetta back up and we drove the two and a half hours back so that I could go to work. Now I was pissed. I had asked for this whole weekend off, both Saturday and Sunday so that I could do this show, over a month and a half ago. Not only did they not give me the weekend off, they scheduled me for both days. I never work Sundays. Ever. I always work Saturdays so that is the reason I signed up for this show on a Sunday. Also, the girl that was supposed to work for me. Why didn't she go in? Couldn't they have called her? After all, she didn't have plans and had originally agreed to work on Sunday for me. It sucked. Luckily my mom was with me so she offered to drive the trailer back home because I was so upset, dropped me off at work and took Jetta home. So glad she was with me!

So yeah. It was a complete bust of a weekend. Luckily, no one got hurt, we didn't get lost or break down in the middle of no where, etc. but it was not a good weekend. I wish it never happened, really. But I did get to do that stupid Materiale that I was so eager to do. I really, really wanted to do the conformation class but oh well. If my supervisor at work will sign a letter saying that I had to be called into work I can get a refund for the classes I scratched. So it wasn't a total loss, just really disappointing. I am NOT going back to that show next year! I don't want to tempt fate into giving me another absolutely terrible day. But at least I now know where that show ground is for other future shows.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that sucks! I can't believe they made you come in, even though you were 2 hours away! I'm angry at that girl who said she would cover you and then flaked out. But at least you get to spend a bit longer with Katy.

    ReplyDelete