Saturday, June 25, 2011

Inavale HT Recap

Well, no pretty purple ribbon for us :( I'll admit I'm a little disappointed, given how competitive I am, even though I say I could care less about how I do, I really want that ribbon! But how can I be that disappointed when I have such an awesome horse?! Have I mentioned how much I love this horse? I love this horse! We went double clear in show jumping!

I was super nervous because this round could have determined if we placed in the ribbons or not. The jumps were incredibly over decorated and there was one that I dubbed "the scary jump". I was scared that we'd have a refusal but I was determined not to let that happen! It was finally my turn and at least I remembered the course! The course was very well designed, it rode super well and was a smooth and fun ride.

Jazz was a little wiggly to the second jump that was covered in flowers but I kept my leg on and we made it over. The scary jump was barely even looked at by Jazz, I think I was more scared of it than she was! The next four jumps went smoothly, then came the "sunshine" combination. I turned pretty tightly so Jazz didn't get a good look at it before we approached so she gave it the hairy eyeball. I crack myself up sometimes - I yelled at her to "git over it!" and she did! We had a time of 1:04 and the maximum was 1:21. Yay!

Unfortunately that wasn't enough and even though most of the other riders got at least one jump penalty, it wasn't enough to make up for all of the penalties I incurred over cross country. But it was a learning experience at least. It was my first event so at least now I know that XC is the most important! Even though I placed 4th in Dressage and double clear in Stadium, XC is worth the most. The second place girl had originaly placed 11th in dressage! At least that means I can stop stressing about my test :)

But even without bringing home a ribbon it was still worth every penny I paid. I had a blast even though I am slightly worse for the wear - covered in bruises and blisters and I think I pulled a muscle in my thigh, lol. I wish I could afford more than just one horse trial every summer, but that would be hard given that the closest trials besides Inavale are in Washington :(



The "scary" jump that wasn't all that scary!


Camera issues = blurry pictures, but this is still one of my favs!


First in the sunshine combination - the actual "scary" one.


Final jump! So happy that I made it all clear!


Such a cute jump!



One of the greatest things about this weekend was the people. I love horse people and the people at this event were awesome. The first example is just how friendly and enthused about their sport everyone is. Heading for XC I had several people I didn't know wish me good luck and tell me how well the course ran. After I was done with XC a lady I didn't know ask if she could borrow my crop for her round. I gave it to her and told her what row I was in so she could return it. I wasn't really sure I would get it back, but later that day I found it sitting in front of my stall waiting for me.

The last, and most awesome example of how great eventers are, is when my trailer broke. The part that you turn to raise the trailer up and down wasn't working and we couldn't get it to go up. We asked a guy sitting by his trailer, enjoying a beer if he had a wrench and could help us and miraculously he did! He found a wrench and used that and his leatherman to pull apart the thing-y to see if there was something he could fix. Unfortunately it was something deep inside the piece of equipment so he couldn't fix it so he ended up un-bolting the whole thing so we could take it out and get going. It took him almost an hour and when we thanked him he just said "That's what people do - we help eachother." I love these people :)

I can't wait for next year! It will finally be Jetta's turn. The poor horse must be feeling neglected because I've ridden her once since I've gotten home, but I'm sure she's enjoying her freedom in the pasture!

No comments:

Post a Comment