Thursday, June 9, 2011

Guess What?!

Guess what?

I am entered to compete in the Inavale Horse Trials!!! I'm so excited! (Can't you tell?)

I'm going to ride Jazz - sorry Jetta. But this is my first recognized event EVER and I don't think Jetta's quite ready yet. We haven't even gotten to go cross country schooling yet, so maybe next year.

I'm really excited and really nervous at the same time. This is a huge event because it's the only recognized event in our area, maybe even the whole state. Sure, it's only a half star event, but still. I'm so excited!

We are going to compete at Beginner Novice level because while I know Jazz can do Novice, I want to make sure we do it well, given that this is our first time in the "big leagues". I can't convey to you how absolutely excited I am, I hope that we finish well - I don't care how we place as long as we 1) don't get eliminated, 2) do our absolute best that I know we can, and 3) no falling off!

Can't wait to be doing a whole lot of this on a big, rolling course!


I do have a couple questions for those of you out there who have actually competed in an actual recognized horse trials:

1) Are whips not allowed in dressage? I thought I saw this when reading the rule book, but now looking back, I can't find it anywhere.
2) If the bit you are using has a noseband attached, are you still required to have a caveson for cross country?
3) How do vet checks work? I'm assuming there's a jog beforehand and they check your horse after cross country to make sure they're not ready to keel over, right? What are the expectations for the vet checks?

I just want to make sure I don't get disqualified :) Any tips and pointers would be appreciated! I am now going to start counting down the seconds until June 24th!

2 comments:

  1. 1) Whips are allowed in dressage, except for championships and FEI (internationally sanctioned) competitions. If you're going regular Beginner Novice, a whip is just fine.

    2) I'm not sure on this one, but I'm almost certain that it's ok, as I know that hackamores are allowed with no additional cavesson.

    3) At Beginner Novice there won't be any official vet check. The vet checks and jogs only happen either if you are doing an FEI level event (CCI*/**/***/****) or a Training/Preliminary Classic Format Three Day Event (one of the training/prelim events that has roads and tracks and steeplechase). You might get randomly drug tested, or if your horse looks off the TD might alert the vet and send them over to you, but in terms of official jogs and vet inspections there won't be anything.

    Have fun!! I'm in CA and have always wanted to go to Inavale - it looks like a wonderful venue! Inavale does sponsor a Training Classic Three Day, so if you're interested about the jogs/vet inspection, that's the division to watch =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I thought so, but I wasn't really sure, but I didn't want to show up with absolutely no clue what was going on, lol. I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete