Friday, June 10, 2011

My Picks: Helmets

June 11th is the Riders4Helmets International Helmet Awareness Day. It's right around the corner so if you're thinking of buying a new helmet, that is the day to do it!

A list of participating retailers can be found here, check to see if there's one in your state. Note that this is International Helmet Awareness Day, so there are participating retailers in Canada, the UK and Australia! SmartPak is doing a sale - 20% off helmets + free shipping! Equestrian Collections is also supporting this Helmet Awareness Day.

As you might know I'm a big supporter of wearing a helmet at all times. It might not being a magic piece of equipment that will prevent all injuries, but it might just save you from a concussion or lessen the impact of a fall or kick to the head. If you make it a habit, you might just forget you're even wearing a helmet :)

I personally love my helmet - if you're looking for a comfy helmet that's not going to break the bank then a Tipperary might just be the helmet for you. I love the visibility, lightness and coolness it provides. I'll admit it does look a little funky, but it's worth it :)

I also have an IRH Elite Extreme Helmet to use as a show helmet. While I do love my Tipperary, quirkyness and all, I sometimes get a few weird sideways glances at hunter and dressage shows. These are well vented and low profile. I really like mine!

3 comments:

  1. I love my IRH. It is well vented, and I never feel like a mushroom head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, when I bought it they told me that IRH are good for people with oval heads and Charles Owens are good for people with more of a round head. Don't know if that helps. That's how I felt when I tried them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I want to see if my mom will pay for the new helmet, after all, she should want the best in protection for her daughter right? ;) I have the feeling her first reaction will be: a helmet costs how much?! (Even though IRH is very reasonable). Just wait... I'm betting on it, lol.

    ReplyDelete