Thursday, April 28, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 28

Helmet or no helmet?

I am a very strong helmet supporter. I try to where one every single time I get on a horse, because let's face it, you never know what is going to happen. While I admit that I can sometimes be lax when I don't have a helmet at home and I decide to hop on Grady or Jazz and go for a spin, but that probably only accounts for 1% of the time.

No matter how good a rider you are or how good a horse you have, there is always a chance for something to go wrong. I consider myself a good rider with a solid seat and Jazz is very nearly a "bombproof" horse, but stuff happens. I've fallen off when my horse has stumbled, I've gotten fallen on by a horse, I did get swept off my horse by getting hit in the face with a tree branch, and I've done a head first dive into the fence when my horse decided to go one way while I went the other.

I won't complain or lecture people about their choice to not wear a helmet, it's their choice. But I like my helmet. Sure, when I was younger I absolutely detested it and always wanted to go galloping with my hair streaming behind me, but now, I barely even notice it's there! Some people I've talked to don't wear a helmet because they think that if they are going to get a head injury, it won't be affected by wearing or not wearing a helmet. I'll admit that's true in some cases. A helmet certainly doesn't protect your neck or face, but it can help lessen concussions or brain injuries and protect from sharp hooves to the head. If you need more stories, go visit the Riders4Helmets


If you're in the market for a helmet, I strongly recommend a Tipperary. I love them. It's by far the comfiest helmet I've ever owned and it won't break the bank! They provide great visibility, don't cook your head, and they're lightweight and comfy.

1 comment:

  1. I am for helmets. Of all the times I have come off, I have landed on my head a few times and once I was not wearing a helmet - nothing serious happened *touch wood*, but I know it could have and I now where one every time I ride. I can't justify not wearing one - I just think it's much safer and I completely agree that no matter how safe a horse is or how good you are, things can still go wrong. I never used to be a helmet freak, but now it's just a habit and I don't feel safe without one.

    My mother usually doesn't wear helmets - in fact I think the first time she did was when I asked her to last year.

    My boyfriend never used to, but he got a helmet that actually looks very similar to the one you put up. I like it, but it doesn't fit me. I'm still wearing the same helmet that I got when I was around 12 lol.

    ReplyDelete