Friday, April 22, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 22

Describe the importance of riding in your life

I really can't imagine not having horses and riding in my life. If I could choose and actually be able to support myself, I would prefer to become a horse trainer and have horses be my life 24/7.

Most of my decisions revolve around my horses. For one, I chose my college because I could bring my horse (Ok, that wasn't my only factor, but it did have some importance!) If I want to go on a trip I first have to decide what is going to happen with my horses. I feel like I spend all my money and energy on my horses, which is 100% ok with me :) Whether I have a good or bad day is largely affected by how my ride went and when I'm stressed, the barn is my escape.

When I was little, everyone told me that I would grow out of horses, and while I watched several of my friends do just that, I never did and I can tell you that I certainly never will! I can't imagine not riding. If I was to get injured and not be able to ride, I wouldn't be able to watch others get to ride, even if I could be an instructor, I have to be able to really do something. I would probably take up driving if I couldn't ride!

Riding is also important to me because I'm a very competitive person so it provides an outlet in that way as well. I love competing. Sometimes it gets really stressful and I ask myself why I do this to myself, but in the end, I really do enjoy competing. I want to be the best that I can be and showing is one way that I can test myself, I can compare myself to other riders and see where I need to improve and strive to do better at the next show. I can get a fresh perspective from a stranger on my riding and get feedback and a score and improve from there.

I hope that I can continue to ride until I'm very, very old because I know that I will never lose my passion for horses. It's what drives me and it's very much a crucial part of my life.

My favorite place to be - surrounded by horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment