Tuesday, April 19, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 19

A discipline you would like to try.

I've definitely already posted about this here, but I would love to try combined driving! It looks like sooo much fun.

There's only one CDE (combined driving event) that I know of locally and this year I really want to go watch it. My first real exposure to this event was at WEG. I had heard of it of course and had actually driven horses before, but never had I experienced anything this awesome.

Combined driving is like 3 Day Eventing but with carts attached. I can't stress how much fun it looks. I know that you can have one horse and driver, or you can do four-in-a-hand, but that may just be something more for the upper levels (?). Someday I am going to get a cart and harness and train whatever current horse I have to do combined driving. Whether they like it or not! Lol. I still think Jazz would do well at this, but we never really progressed past ground driving because I didn't want to spend probably around $1000 or more on driving gear. Someday though...

There are three parts to combined driving - the cones course, dressage, and marathon. One of the things that I love about this sport is that you can seriously be competitive with any breed or crossbreed of horse. At WEG I saw Friesian/QH crosses, Perchron/TB crosses, Dutch Harness horses, Thoroughbred type and Warmblood type horses.

Here's some pictures. The first three I took and the others are from online.







drivingdressage.jpg

File:Pippa Bassett at Lowther 2007.jpg

Looks pretty awesome, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment