Friday, September 23, 2011

Saying Goodbye: For Now

Jazz is gone! To her new home that is. I found someone to lease her and I think they'll be a good match. It's hard handing over the reins of your horse in a lifetime that you've had for eight years. I still own her, so I can still dictate a lot of how she's cared for, but it's so weird that I can't just see her hanging out in the pasture anymore or head down to the barn to hop on her for a quick ride.

Her new rider, MC, lives not too far away and was looking for a competitive and recreational trail horse that she could gain back her confidence on. Her other horse has bucked her off numerous times and taken off with her and she just wanted a horse that she could trust. Well that's Jazz for you! She has never, ever bucked or reared under saddle. MC hadn't cantered in two years until riding Jazz! It makes me happy that they seem to be a good match.  I know she'll be treated really well and I love MC's little barn set up. She has a small indoor arena, a round pen with pea gravel. Two small pastures that she rotates and a home made trail course.

MC had another lesson today and she's starting to learn all of Jazz's buttons. After eight years of being Jazz's rider, riding her has just become second nature to me. I can feel and anticipate her every move and can unconsciously make a move to correct or influence her. Jazz is definitely a once in a lifetime horse and I'm so glad that I got her. She taught me a lot, especially about patience and the finer side of riding.


Jazzy leaving...

I'm a little sad, but I know that MC will be good to Jazz and I'll be able to see her pretty often (at least 1x per month). We might even be able to meet up for trail rides! I gave MC a little write up of all of Jazz's quirks and such - how she can be cinchy, how she knows to lower her head for bridling, that she self loads in the trailer but won't back out, what bits she likes, etc and stood around and talked some more about what Jazz likes. Her favorite treats for example - her absolute favorite is carrots, but she loves almost anything salty including, but not limited to, popcorn, saltine crackers, cheese-its, and tortilla chips as well as Berry Good treats, apples and Red Vines. She has a well developed palate, what can I say?


My girl :)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you found her a GREAT lease home! But it's never easy letting a good horse go!

    ReplyDelete