Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Favorite Quirks


The famous dressage mare, Rocher, is
somewhat famous for her floppy ears.

I ran across a discussion a while back about what different quirks people like in a horse. These are things that are random and different. Not all people might think they're desirable. And it's not just that the horse has good conformation or is easy to get along with. Little things. They can be a physical or character trait in a horse.

Here are my top three favorite "quirks":

Floppy Ears - I'm not talking about deaf horses, but instead those who just naturally carry their ears floppily or when concentrating have floppy ears. I think it's super cute and oftentimes means that the horse is relaxed.

Thin, squiggly face markings - Blazes, stripes, snips, whatever. I love facial markings, especially irregular ones!

Drinking out of hoses - Random, yes. Amusing, definitely. I'm currently trying to get Jetta to realize that drinking out of hoses is fun! But she doesn't really believe me. Yet ;)

What are some of your favorite quirks?

2 comments:

  1. I love the drinking out of hoses one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gelding Jack absolutely LOVES drinking out of hoses - he also likes drinking from buckets - I don't really get it, if I have a bucket sitting next to his trough he would prefer the bucket. It's got the same water in it though =/

    When I'm trying to bath him I let him drink from it because he looks so cute. He will even bite the hose and hold it in his mouth, in fact it's a little difficult to keep the hose away from his lips lol.

    I like floppy lips and when horses 'smile' (I can't remember the name of the response haha).

    ReplyDelete