Monday, May 23, 2011

My Picks: Favorite Grooming Products

Well, it's that time of year to get the horses all cleaned up to start showing! Or just for heading out on the trails if the show scene is not for you. My horses have mostly finished all of their shedding already (thank goodness!) and I can't wait to start going to some shows. I thought I'd share a few of my favorite grooming products, on the off chance that you haven't used these before and were maybe looking for some good grooming tools:

Canter Mane & Tail Detangler - Best detangler ever! Not only does it last for days (seriously, if you don't believe me, go try it), it also works well and smells wonderful. Like roses, in case you were wondering :) Previously I always used Cowboy Magic Detangler or Showsheen, but the Cowboy magic bottles leaked goo everywhere and it wasn't very easy to get even coverage with the gel, plus it didn't last long. The Showsheen was similar, love it for their coats, but not the mane and tail.
Unfortunately it's super hard to find in stock around here, so whenever I do find it I buy it!

Furminator - A super, duper shedding blade on steroids! This tool is great when you're dealing with horses shedding out massive amounts of hair. It comes off so quickly and easily, no elbow grease needed. While this tool can be a little expensive, there are other brands on the market that work just as well because the basic design is the same. I think I've got my money's worth out of mine though, going on three years running!



Showsheen Finishing Mist - Showsheen has always been my go-to grooming product for silky and shiny coats in the show ring. This is a new product and it's the best Showsheen product out there in my opinion. They made it smell better, which is a bonus in my opinion because I always thought that the regular formula smelt like glue! Anyways, the continuous mist makes it easy to spray on and get an even coat without soaking random patches of your horse.



QuicSilver Whitening Shampoo - If you've ever had a horse with white on them, you know how hard it is to keep them clean. I use this on all my horses white socks and go through a ton of it trying to keep Katy clean. Ah, the joys of keeping a white horse white. This is the only product I've used so far that will seriously get rid of any dirt/grass/urine stains no matter what. For particularly ingrained stains some serious scrubbing might be in order, but this shampoo is a staple in my bucket of bathing tools.



Laube Speed Clippers - Favorite clippers!! Please don't try to use the cheap-y clippers that cost around $20-$30, they usually don't work. Especially when you've got a horse with unbelieveably thick hair. I've had these clippers for four years and I never had a problem until I lost them :( But I got a new pair! I've used them to shave bridle paths, whiskers and body clip too. They're cordless, which is one of my favorite aspects and the blades are sharp and cut through hair oh so easily.




EQ Solutions Body Wash - Another bathing favorite makes giving baths so, so much easier. Attach the hose and turn the dial and presto! It makes it easier to spray water on without having to hold your thumb over the end of the hose, it works well, and get this: you can even leave the shampoo on and it won't irritate their skin. Get the horse wet, spray on shampoo, spray off shampoo, spray on shampoo again and leave it. The coat is super soft after using this shampoo.




Horse Shaves - These are always floating around in my trailer and grooming bag for show days. They're very handy little razors that you can bring a couple with you just in case you forget to clip your horse or notice a few stray whiskers you missed. These guys are sharp so use with care! Also good for horses afraid of clippers, yet need their whiskers trimmed.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about the furminator. How gentle is it? My guy has extremely sensitive skin, as in so sensitive I can only use a horse hair brush on him when he gets his summer coat. I'd be worried about spending all that money only to find out he can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I don't know. I make sure to only use it when they have a thick coat, which works great because Grady looks like a yak. Jazz doesn't like stiff brushes either, so summertime I have to use a soft brush too, but she tolerates it. I think the Furminator was $40, but there's another brand that's half the price so it might be more reasonable to try, though I can't think of its name right now...

    ReplyDelete