Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mixing it Up

Unfortunately, nothing too exciting going on around here. Today was not the best as I had two midterms and while I felt prepared and confident going into them, I came out feeling awful about how I did. I would like nothing more than to go cuddle my pony but I had already decided that today I wouldn't ride so I could study for my next midterm that's on Monday, plus I'm sore from my ride yesterday.

Here's what we've been doing the past couple of days.

Tuesday I decided to ride in the sidepull. I haven't ridden her in it since last school year since she tends to be such a handful at home so I was pleased that she was nearly perfect in it. I love riding her in the sidepull because she doesn't try to hang on it and I know that it's not a harsh piece of equipment. It was kind of an interesting ride because the whole family was out feeding the horses - the BO and her husband, her 5 year old and their absolutely adorable Frenchie all running around, feeding hay and grain, walking through the arena, etc. Jetta was incredibly distracted by the hay wheelbarrow going past multiple times, but she paid attention for the most part and didn't get grumpy that she was missing her dinner.

Wednesday, yesterday, I went out to the barn with the plan of working Jetta on the lunge line over some poles and cavalettis, maybe free-jumping her. However, once I got to the barn the trainer was riding and I didn't want to get in the way. I hadn't met her yet because she always rides in the early morning (four weeks and I've never ridden with anyone!) and this was the earliest I'd ever made it out to the barn at 10:30am. She was super nice and very chatty, like everyone I've met at the barn. While she's not exactly my cup of tea as a trainer (she does western pleasure and I'm not exactly a fan of her equipment) at least she wasn't mean to the horses, like a trainer at a previous barn. Instead I rode in the jumping saddle and worked on two-point and did some stirrup-less riding. Slightly self conscious because since I didn't plan on riding, I rode in my western boots instead of tall boots, but oh well. I'm now sore and have a large blood-blister-like-bruise on my right inner thigh from the stirrup leather pinching me so I guess it's a good thing I'm not riding today. I need to figure out how to fix that...

Speaking of riding today, I'm super jealous that ML is going with another person to go school cross country today. The course closes for the winter this weekend and it's supposed to rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so sadly I don't see myself doing cross country until summer rolls around again. Sad!

I'm looking forward to a horsey filled weekend though!


No comments:

Post a Comment