Tuesday, June 12, 2012

If The Shoe Fits

In this case it's not shoes, but boots. Hoof boots that is.

I finally bought some new ones for Jetta as my dislike for my Cavallo's is steadily growing. They're just too clunky to work in an arena or go any faster than a walk in. I really like the design of the easyboot gloves, and so I bought their largest size, a 3W and crossed my fingers that they would fit Jetta!

To me, Jetta's feet don't look that big, but they measure almost 5.75 inches wide and long, so compared to most horses (barring draft types) she has some huge feet.

The boots arrived today and I took a break from studying to go try them on her. I think they fit. I think.




Any thoughts? They appeared to fit well. Stayed on with the minimal walking and trotting and took a bit of pulling to get them off. I have power straps that I'm planning on installing if I decide to keep them. Surprisingly, if anything they might be a titch too big, but I'm not sure. The other option is the easy boot bare, but I'm  not too keen on having to have a rubber mallet to put them on and a screwdriver to get them off.

I'm planning on emailing these pics to a more knowledgeable hoof boot person to get their take on the fit, but thought I might as well ask here!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not a hoof boot expert, but I just wanted to say I love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. It's an old one but it makes me laugh every time I see it! Jetta is such a dork :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a hoof boot expert either, but I've used them for a while. I think yours might be too big front-to-back. There's no "v" in the front of the rubber, and in the second pic especially, it looks like there's a good-sized gap between the end of her toe and where the front edge of the boot is (based on the angle of her foot vs. the angle of the boot wall).

    I have a pair of Gloves like yours, as well as a pair for Epics. I've found that with any boot that fits well, a few taps with a rubber mallet to make sure they're properly seated is absolutely worth the time. And you can pry them off pretty easily with a hoof pick. It just takes a bit of practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right... I'm just waiting to hear back from the easyboot people to see if the fit is salvageable or not before I return them!

      Delete
  3. No help here, I've never had good luck with those things. I rode with them once and after getting off twice to put them back on I just said "to heck with it" and left them off.

    I know others have had good luck with them though, I hope you're one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shoot, I should add that Easyboot will send out "fit kits" so you can try out the sizes before you make an order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was too lazy so I didn't try that. What they *should* do is send out a cast that you take of the hoof, send it back and get custom sized boots so that way you know they'll fit for any odd-shaped hooves ;) I'm sure that'd cost a pretty penny though!

      Delete