Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fun Day!

So my friend IC came out today and we did a photo shoot! It was really fun and she got some great pictures and I can't wait to get them from her.

For now though, you'll have to be content with my cell camera pictures :) Guess what I did? I braided Jetta all by myself! For the first time ever! I did try last year at a dressage schooling show but it was a fantastic failure. They looked terrible. Today though, I was so proud of myself!!! (In case you couldn't tell). It was kind of a pain though and took me 40 minutes. The first 30 Jetta was actually really good and stood very still but by the end she got impatient. I swear that horse has an attention span of about 3 seconds. More on that later. This was my first success at doing button braids. I can do a perfect running braid in under a minute, but this is the first horse I've had with a mane short enough to do button braids with. I can't even imagine trying hunter braids, dressage ones were hard enough. I'm fine with paying someone to do hunter braids, lol.

Are you ready for these pictures of amazing greatness? Well here they are:

Halfway through...

All done!


Close up, not so pretty. I didn't have any black yarn.

So pretty!

What do you think? Not bad for a first time. I've read and reread and read some more about how to make nice braids and I've even watched videos, but experience is the only way I'll get better. I think I'll braid her for the show this Sunday. I ride at 12:30 and 1:20 which is pretty good. I think I'm also going to scribe for a bit because they need volunteers, but I enjoy scribing for Kathy Casey. She's pretty nice as a judge and I feel comfortable scribing for her since I've done it before.

Anyways, the photo shoot. It was pretty fun, though surprisingly exhausting because standing in the sun for two hours and trying to get Jetta to stand still is hard work! This was IC's first time taking pictures with a horse so now she knows what it's like! I swear that every time she put down her camera, Jetta's ears would go forward and she got very still. Sigh. When we actually were trying to take pictures, she would move around, bob her head, search me for treats and let her ears go floppy. She has mule ears, seriously. When they stick out to the side they look even larger than they really are and then when she shakes her head she'll whack me in the face with them. Mules...

Hopefully I'll get the pictures back soon and I can share them with you!

4 comments:

  1. Your braids look great! I need to learn how to do braids. I could do a decent job with the western pleasure-style banding when I showed QH, but braiding is something completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I've never tried to braid but I know if I did they wouldn't look that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Haha, I'm ridiculously proud of them :] Megan, I don't think I could band a mane because they have to be so well spaced to look good, plus their manes have to be perfectly pulled and I *hate* pulling manes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The braids look fantastic, great job. I need to learn how to braid better.

    ReplyDelete