Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Breastplates Revisited

I did one earlier post about breastplates, but recently I've been oggling breastplates again since I'm stuck inside with the rain and I've been (somewhat) diligently doing homework. I want one. The problem is that there are so many! I thought I knew which one I wanted (an Antares one) but then researching further, I found a ton of neat breastplates!

Personally, I love weird/different looking breasplates. Here's an accumulation of all of the ones that I like.

First, the basic 3-point breastplates. My personal requirements are that they have a wither strap, elastic inserts and clips to attach to d-rings.
Antares Leather Breastplate

Vespucci Jumper Breastplate


Passier Marcus Ehning Breasplate
Then there's the 5-point Breastplates. Personally, I don't like fleece.
Passier Auriga Breastplate
Voltaire Convertible Breastplate

Passier Corvus Breastplate

Five Star Tack Five Point Breastplate.

What do you think? If you could choose one of these breastplates, which one would you choose? Do you have one of these and how do you like it?

4 comments:

  1. I like a breastplate and use one. The one I use is a simple - I started to say hunter style - I guess jumper style. No sheepskin or fancy shapes. I attach a running martingale to it. If I was running upper levels of eventing I would look at the 5 point style, I think they look more secure under stress.
    One of my personal pet peeves is lower level horses going around decked out like they are doing Advanced. I think the equipment needs to be functional, which is different for the different levels.
    But I like to look too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'm with Barbara. I like having good, functional tack, but I try not to dress above my level. Yes, a 5 point breastplate is cool on an upper level horse, but do I need it to do intro on my saddle that really doesn't move? No...

    Hope you find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore my Voltaire. Plus, it can look and behave like a "normal" 3-point breastplate with a few adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But at what point are you "allowed" to wear a 5-point breastplate? I hope to work my way up to Prelim and eventually Training. I don't want to buy a breastplate now and then later wish I had gotten a 5-point. Plus, a breastplate that attaches to the girth holds the saddle in place much better than a 3-point, irregardless of if the jumps are "small" (and no matter how well the saddle fits). Just my thoughts.

    Suzie - I looove the Voltaire one. I've been drooling over it ever since I saw it on your blog :) I hope they have a sale at the end of the year, that way I could buy it as an x-mas present to myself!

    ReplyDelete