Friday, February 14, 2014

Hill Climb

First off I want to thank everyone who sent conformation pictures to me yesterday. I'm so excited to get to work on them! I've got all sorts of neat horses, all different breeds and types. So thank you!!

Perfect pony day yesterday!

Started off the day fairly early and cleaned stalls. Had a major wipeout when I went to dump manure, which was probably the only downside to the day. I fell flat on my back and got soaked with nasty manure water. Ewwww. At that point I was about ready to give up on our trail ride and just go home, but AC convinced me otherwise since the weather was PERFECT for our ride (a little bit of sun and most importantly no rain) and who knows if we'd have another day like this.

I'm really glad we went through with it. The trails were only 20 minutes from our barn and we decided on a short uphill ride to start some muscle building in their backs, butt and abs. It was a good ride. 30 minutes up and 30 minutes down. The horses were puffing pretty hard by the top and sweaty. We just made them walk on a light contact on the bit up the hill and I let Misty out on a loose rein the way down. Pretty much all cooled out by the time we got back to the trailer.




Both horses were great. Crossing the bridge is snort worthy, but tramping through the random piles of snow and going through standing water and over fallen branches was no big deal. I think this is going to be an awesome addition to our rides! I think we might go again on Sunday if the weather is actually dry like it says it will be. Maybe if Jetta's sound I'll take her instead of Misty because I don't want to do too much too fast with her because she's so out of shape.

I'm thinking a long and low workout for Misty today just in case she's sore to get her all stretched out, then a dressage ride on Saturday and either another climb Sunday or she'll get the day off! 

2 comments:

  1. Jealous of your trail riding area, we have open fields, but not really any trails :-(

    ReplyDelete