Saturday, September 15, 2012

Maiden Voyage

Sorry for the lack of posts, I've been busy, but unfortunately not much of it has been all that interesting. I have one more week until I move Jetta and I'm actually pretty excited about it. My friends and I went looking at other barns but didn't find any we liked (including one we would not have let our horses within 20 feet of!) so I'm still happy with the barn I've chosen.

I've been mostly riding Colton and he's doing really well. I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't gotten him ready to sell yet, but I will continue coming home weekends during school to ride him and hopefully get him sold this winter, though that's not a very good time for selling horses. But at the same time I don't want to sell him. He's a cool horse and fun to ride, even being so green. I could see myself keeping him and showing him in dressage as that's what I think he'd do best at. Unfortunately I just can't afford to board two horses.

In other news, Jazz is coming home. I'm excited and sad at the same time. I wasn't planning on having her come home, her lessor was just talking about buying her a couple months ago and I at least was hoping that she'd renew her lease. So I don't know what happened with that, but I definitely wasn't planning on having another horse to care for so it's a bit of a bummer. I'm excited to ride her though, and I might take her to a couple shows before this winter, hopefully find another great lease for her, otherwise she'll just get to hang out with Grady and Colton.

Okay, all the boring stuff is out of the way - Today was exciting at least because my friend CL and I went out to a horse park to go riding. I got to use my fancy new trailer for the first time and it was Colton's first time too! I was so proud of Colton. At first CL was going to ride him while I rode Jetta but at one point the groundskeeper had a 4-wheeler that he just could not get over. At home he chases my brother around on his, so I don't know what his deal was. CL got off and walked him for a bit but he was being a brat and not listening to her so I swapped her horses and got on Colton. He settled down and was a superstar. He lead the way (Jetta wasn't on her best behavior either since she refused to lead) and bravely crossed the little river (in both directions) and two different bridges. Logs are still suspicious but I was more than happy with his behavior. I don't think he's ever walked so fast in his life! I was very proud of him for the most part. He just needs more miles and new environments and he'll settle down to being such a nice horse I think.

It was a really beautiful day and a great almost-last-day-of-summer kind of thing to do. My trailer hauled beautifully and I had fun organizing all my junk stuff in it this morning. So much room! Colton doesn't agree, he was slightly tentative about going in the trailer as if he was asking "Are you sure I'll fit?" He did, but I really want to teach him to self load soon!

Here's some pictures of the giant tack room I've been talking about. Made slightly less giant by the amount of junk stuff I'm able to fit in it.

Fancy mirror/cabinet

Hanger for clothes and a seat with storage under it

Inside of the cabinet


1 comment: