Monday, October 1, 2018

Media Monday

Finally bought a couple pictures from our recognized dressage show! I was so excited for these pictures, but I really didn't like a lot of them surprisingly. The photographer is very talented and I always love her pictures, but I was leaning forward and Jetta wasn't moving as nicely as I know she can so that combined just made the pictures pretty meh. I do really like the two that I bought and in a way it's for the best that there weren't more pictures that I liked because they're quite expensive and I can never afford more than two. Two of my favorite pictures of Misty are by the same photographer.


Maybe someday I'll sit like a dressage rider and look where I'm going


While I will always try to support show photographers, it's hard to spend over $100 just for two pictures. Especially when you don't get the complete file. I paid $25 for her to take pictures of me at the show on one day, then I paid $45 for each of the pictures to get an 8x10" print and a tiny digital file that is only good for social media sites. Then I had to pay almost $10 for shipping the two prints. I tried making one of them my computer background and it was terribly pixelated, so that was a bummer.

I was a show photographer for several years so I understand how hard it would be to make a living from that. It takes me forever and ever to edit photos so you have to put a lot of time into these things and photography equipment is not cheap!


Regardless, I love these two pictures. I was so proud of Jetta at the show and I'm happy to finally have some really lovely show pictures of the two of us!


And I'm curious - what do you typically pay in your area for show photos?


6 comments:

  1. I usually pay around $20-30 for a digital download. They few times I've bought pictures (4x6), they've been about the same plus a bit for shipping. I don't think that's the worst, but I rarely shell out for them. That's why I invested in a nice camera for whenever I get Hubby to go with me, otherwise I commemorate the moment with a bunch of "Here is my horse standing at the trailer!" pics. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fairly reasonable to me. I also have a really nice camera which I always bring to shows with me in hopes I find someone to coerce into taking pictures for me. I try to get the BF to take pics for me but 1) he hates horse shows and 2) he's not the best at pictures. So I also have a ton of "look how cute my horse is at the trailer!" lol

      Delete
  2. I loved the eventing photographer in our area in CA. They did 75$ for the whole weekend package (all 3 stages) as full-res downloads. The pictures were great and the price was perfect. I've seen others that charge $20 per digital download. The photog in Arizona wanted $25 for a social media download and $40 for a full-res download. I thought that was too expensive and ended up buying none. I get that it's expensive to do, but I think he priced himself out of any $. If he'd had a package deal I would have bought them. Instead he got nothing.

    ReplyDelete