Monday, July 16, 2018

Friday Field Trip

My truck is finally fixed!! I'm so happy to be mobile again! To celebrate, I decided that it was time to take Maisie on another field trip to Jetta's barn. The plan was to start teaching her how to pony, but it didn't quite work out...

Maisie loaded up and hauled perfectly. When we got to the barn, I left her in the trailer while I got Jetta out of the field. I tied Jetta to the trailer and unloaded and tied Maisie next to her. I was starting to tack up Jetta when she untied herself and took off, high tailing it back to the pasture. I was about to go after her when a GIANT horse fly started buzzing around Maisie. I couldn't decide what to do first, but I decided that Jetta wasn't going anywhere now that she was grazing back by her pasture and I really didn't want Maisie to get bit and freak out, so I stuck Maisie in her stall and retrieved Jetta. Stinker - you'd think the 12 year old would act better behaved than the 12 month old...

That side eye though


I tacked Jetta up and lunged her really quickly and discovered we had a problem - the sprinkler was going in the arena and I didn't know how to dismantle it so I could shut the arena door. I definitely wasn't going to try ponying for the first time in a space where Maisie could take off and make a run for it out of the arena. So I stuck Jetta in the cross ties and played with Maisie a bit. We walked around the property and eventually made it out to the field where the jumps were set.

Discovering how cool fans are


Maisie didn't even glance at the poles, but walked over them calmly and easily. I was so proud! We did that a few times and ended with walking over a tiny crossrail jump - baby's first jump!

NBD

By the time we finished walking around it was super hot (almost in the 90's) and the sprinkler in the arena still wasn't done. So I decided that this was a good opportunity for Maisie's first bath and then I stuck her in the cross ties while I untacked Jetta. She was great! She did not like the bath at all (shocker), but stood fairly nicely while I sprayed her neck and shoulders.

Still not sure about cross ties



Overall, I was super proud of my little nugget and next time we will definitely try ponying!

I tried to take a confo pic because she's finally starting to look like a horse! But nope- llama baby

2 comments:

  1. She's really starting to look like she has Jetta's head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that windswept little Maybelline model!

    ReplyDelete