Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Goals

I didn't do any formal goals this last year. After failing miserably at every single goal I had in 2015 and with being in vet school, I knew I would be lucky just to get to the barn and ride a few days a week.

I did have a couple things on my mind I wanted to achieve. I wanted to get two 60% scores at First Level with Misty. I wanted to go to the Inavale one-day horse trials. I wanted to sell Misty. And I wanted to take some lessons. And I wanted to breed Jetta.




I managed to get only one score at 60% at First Level on Misty but we worked really hard at it and were so close multiple times! It can be hard for a stock horse in the dressage world! Jetta managed to get two 60% scores at first level at one show (where we had the worst rides of my entire life) so that was good I guess? We didn't get to do any second level showing though.

I did get to do the fall one-day horse trials on Jetta and we actually did Novice! We had a silly elimination over a ditch in a sort of "coffin" combo, but otherwise she was fantastic especially when we went xc schooling the week prior.

I did end up selling Misty to a wonderful home, but I do miss her a lot.


I did not take any lessons unfortunately.

And I did breed Jetta!

This year again is going to be a slow horse year. Jetta will be pregnant for most of the good riding season since she is due August 1st. This means I won't be showing or taking lessons. I'm hoping to take her on a trail ride at least 2-3 times a month to keep her in shape and from being bored. As she gets more and more pregnant, this might turn into just hand-walking around outside.



My main goal is to have a healthy, happy little foal. I am trying so hard to keep my hopes down since I have seen anything and everything go wrong with foaling. I am so nervous!

I am hoping to find a horse to ride in some capacity during the spring and early summer. This is my last free summer so I want to make the most of it. The goal is to find a green horse that needs miles or someone who just doesn't have the time for their horse. And maybe even get to show said horse. Free is the name of the game.

Once my (hopefully) bouncing baby buckskin is born, I aim to take it to get approved with RPSI since there will be another inspection at the same barn as last year. Also, get the baby its lifetime registration with USEF.



Once baby is weaned, I want to get Jetta started back under saddle, maybe in time for some fall showing if things go well.

Of course, once baby is born there will be a lot more goals in terms of bringing up baby, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself just in case something does go wrong. We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Different goals, but an exciting year for sure. Hope your baby is exactly what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Misty <3 You did a lot this year even if it doesn't feel that way. I am looking forward to Jetta's foal and all the foal spam!

    ReplyDelete