Monday, September 10, 2018

It's Always Something

I had some really great rides on Jetta in the past week, including a lovely fall-feeling trail ride. Of course, I've been excited to start schooling second level and hopefully squeeze in a schooling show before the end of the year, but as always, horses have better plans.

Here's our recap since I'm a bad blogger:

We had a fun day with the pup
She's becoming a great little barn dog!

Nice trail ride day
Even though we busted a boot :(

Cooling off with a walk around the field
Pretty girl
She's looking really cute over fences
 



Jetta felt a little off on Thursday and she didn't work out of it under saddle. She didn't feel terrible, just NQR. She had Friday off and when I went to get her out of the pasture on Saturday she was definitely a little off on her right front, but everything in her leg palpated normally - no heat, swellings or thickening of any tendons - so I'm thinking it's an abscess. She got a hoof soak and a really good grooming, so we'll see how it goes from here.

Of course I don't have hoof testers which would be super helpful, but with how hard the ground has been and her inability to get any sole depth this year, I would not be surprised. It's been so many years since I've had a horse with an abscess, I think 6 years?! So I guess I was overdue. It isn't the worst timing because I'm heading to WEG on Thursday!! Is anyone else going to be there the 13th-18th that would like to meet up? I haven't heard of any blogger meet-ups so I assume everyone's just doing their own thing, but on the off-chance I would love to meet up!

So for now Maisie gets to be my focus! She hasn't been doing a whole lot, mostly just being a baby and growing up. She gets groomed almost daily and messed with a little bit. She recently learned how to trot in hand which was cute. The first couple of times it was like I was flying a little baby horse kite but by the third time she figured it out. We still really need to work on clipping, bathing and ponying, but otherwise I'm really happy with where she's at right now!

This mane is ridiculous

I measured her again and she just hit 14.3 hands at 13 months, she string tests to 16.2 hands which is PERFECT. I was worried she was going to get huge, but fingers crossed it's accurate! Our current project is pulling her mane - it is SUPER thick so I've been working on it bit by bit because Maisie hates it, so we've got a quarter of it done so far. She's definitely going to get a mohawk like her mother at some point because this is ridiculous. I thought it was funny today as I was scrolling instagram and someone made the comment that Warmbloods and Thoroughbreds can have their mane pulled easily since they don't grow thick hair... Um. I wish. Maisie's mane can rival that of any hairy breed!


Gorgeous day at the barn


So that's our life in a nutshell!

2 comments:

  1. TB's and warmbloods have thin manes, huh? Wish someone would have told my 2 that! HA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll be at WEG!!! Email me at besum1 (at) gmail dot com and maybe we can meet up? It might be a bit crazy but that’s half the fun right?? 😬 welcome to Tryon!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete