Friday, February 16, 2018

What Horses Teach Us

I've been thinking about what all of the horses in my life have taught me. I've had a fair amount of horses and I feel like each one of them imprinted something important on me and have shaped me into the rider and person I am today.

Just wanted to reflect on them and I'm curious, if you could narrow it down to one word or phrase, what do you think the biggest thing your horse(s) have taught you?

Grady



Like a lot of little girls, he was my first horse and my first love. He taught me SO much. If I had to pick one thing that he taught me, it would be resilience. He bucked me off many, many times. I learned to get back on and try again and again. I also credit him with my desire and love of training. He was the worst horse to begin with and became the best horse I have had thus far, and likely will ever have.


Jasmine



My second horse, Jazz is the horse I credit with my love of competition, specifically dressage and jumping. She taught me about precision. She was an amazing horse to compete and we did it all. She was another very special horse.


Patches



My first training project, I bought a mangy little paint horse from a pasture in the middle of nowhere. She wasn't much to look at but she turned into a wonderful little horse. She taught me the importance of consistency.

Katy and Tux



I also trained Katy and Tux from the beginning. They were super fun and such easy, easy horses. I would work with Gypsy or Draft crosses again in a heart beat! They taught me the importance of having fun. From riding them everywhere bareback, going swimming, splashing in the waves on the beach and more, they were such a blast.

Misty



This little mare taught me balance. It was a fine line between making her too sensitive or too dull, too forward or too lazy. Partly because we switched back and forth between western and english, but she was a great all-around horse and we had a lot of fun dabbling in different things.

Trask






This guy taught me patience. He was such a tough horse for me. Smart, but could not deal with simple things like gentle pressure when he was stressed. He really was one of those horses that this quote was talking about:

Image result for emotions in the saddle quote

Jetta 



Jetta has taught me to always keep learning. She is always coming up with new evasions when she gets bored and there is never a dull moment with her. She's a wonderful, complicated horse and she keeps me on my toes. I'm constantly trying to figure out new ways of keeping her engaged and interested in learning.




I can't wait to see what this little one teaches me in the future!



5 comments:

  1. What a fun post! Its so hard to boil down what each horse teaches you into one lesson - they all bring so much to the table, and they all shape us into the riders we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I'd love to know more abut Grady, he looks like he was really special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was <3 I wrote some about him here if you're interested in more about him: https://thoroughbredadventure.blogspot.com/p/in-loving-memory.html

      Delete
  3. Great post! I remember a lot of these horses from the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post. So many good lessons and so many GORGEOUS horses! Wow!

    ReplyDelete