Monday, January 4, 2016

Scattered post

I had high hopes for blogging more over winter break, but failed sadly. Nothing was too interesting around here though. I go back to school today tomorrow (ice day today!) I'm slightly nervous for the new term since there will be four "real" classes this term instead of three.

The ponies have been good though. Misty has been getting more attention as usual. We're still playing with western, and I finally put the curb bridle on her. My original one walked away (which is beyond annoying, but at least is was my "cheap" set up). I rebuilt the bridle mostly from extra pieces I had around, except for buying a new set of reins. She was really good in the curb bridle, but needs a tad bit of work on neck reining as she's a little rusty.

Cutest western pony ever


We've been working on flying changes, which we put on a back burner for a while. She's rougher from left to right and had lots of bucks and opinions to say on that flying change. The first time through she wouldn't change behind and was being altogether much too sassy, so she got in trouble. Then she was kind of like "oh, I guess I can't do that" and was much more polite and on time for her changes. We did serpentines where sometimes we'd do a simple canter-trot-canter change, or a canter-walk-canter change or even a canter-halt-canter change or a flying change. That way she won't anticipate anything and will be listening for what I want. It's a fun exercise, at least I think, I'm sure Misty doesn't agree.

I am hoping that this year I will blog more. I'll definitely be busier than ever, but I miss blogging! I have a few blogs in the works, including some reviews. I got some Ariat denim breeches (and tall boots!) as a birthday gift to myself, so I need to review those. And some new clippers for Christmas, which I can't wait to try out.

Before I got my gift clippers, I used my roommate's to do a trim on the ponies. They were looking rough. I decided not to do any body clips since I haven't been riding much. They just got their socks, beards, muzzles and bridle paths clipped. Or in Jetta's case I roached her mane again. It was getting much too long for my tastes, since with Jetta long = mega thick. I could double running braid her mane like a cob or spanish breed or something.

Jetta's looking good! I cut almost 5 inches off her tail...


The horse's got their Christmas bran mash. I decided to do something different this year, as usually I buy some wheat bran and make their bran mash at home. This year I found some pre-made bran mash which sounded cool so I just got that. Less mess! You just add hot water to the bag, it ziplocs shut and then dump it in their feed bin, perfect!

Ingredients: Wheat Bran, Barley, Cane Molasses, Dehydrated Carrots, Peppermints, Soybean Meal, Peppermint Leaf, Cinnamon and Chamomile.

I would definitely recommend it. Both horses loved it and it just makes me feel good to give them a nice warm treat on a cold day.





And the latest dilemma... I'm still drooling over a PS of Sweden bridle (thanks to certain other bloggers... who know who you are). I was hoping they'd have a holiday sale at some point, but to no avail. I got Christmas money to use to buy one bridle. The only problem is that I want two. I need some votes on which one to get!

I only have one black bridle, so it'd be nice to get a second one for schooling. I love both the Jump Off and the Get Set, but can't decide. Thoughts?
I'd love to get Misty the Jump Off in black to replace the Micklem bridle we ride in
Or, I want to get Jetta the Get Set bridle in black



6 comments:

  1. I like the looks of the Get Set better. I hope to pick up a youngster bridle for myself sometime. Maybe as a tax return treat~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jump off bridle! I really want one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand the PS of Sweden fad, but of the two, I like the second one better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting the Get Set since before it came out. Love it with the fancy stitched nose plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure, I think both of them are nice. Sorry I'm no help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh I heart Misty so much she's so stinky cute

    ReplyDelete