Monday, September 18, 2017

Big First!

Well my little nugget finally got her toes trimmed. I was very worried about how it would go. She's been really good with learning how to pick up her feet (less good with learning how to lead...) but I hadn't had a chance to play with the rasp on her feet or practice bringing her feet forward for the farrier.

Cute teeny-tiny hoofies!


AC, my amazing farrier, came out to do Trask's hooves and we set up an appointment to do Jetta and Maisie's. I've been so lucky to have her - she's the one that helped me teach Jetta to have her feet done when she was 2 years old and she is the most patient person ever. I can't say enough good things about her. She would come out several times in a week because we'd only get one or two hooves done at a time before Jetta's little brain was fried and she never charged me for the extra visits.

She's getting so big!


I warned her in advance of how Maisie hated being restrained and liked to throw tantrums when she didn't like something. She wasn't phased and said if she could only get one or two hooves done then she'd come back another time.

The day of Maisie's Big Day of the First Hoof Trim I met AC at the barn and plopped some hay down in front of Jetta so she wouldn't wander, closed the paddock gate so there would be no escapes, and put on my gloves. We started with Maisie's back hooves since AC said it's usually easier for them to handle. Maisie was perfect. I could not believe it. She picked up her hooves willingly and let AC hold them and rasp away. She didn't try any kicking and she didn't try to pull away!

In progress


After her back feet we gave her a break and I let her go while we did Jetta's hooves. Then back to Maisie's front hooves. She was a little sassy when I tried to lead her to a more open spot but she acquiesced and AC got to work on her fronts. She even let her pull her feet forward! She was just so good. I couldn't believe that this was my little baby, she must have gotten replaced with another one! The worst thing she tried to do was nibble on AC's hair, which all horses try to do since it's nice and curly.

So that was a complete non-issue! If only all of our big firsts could be that easy...

All done

Jetta also got lunged because she is FAT. And she got her rations reduced. She still looks pregnant! Maisie was pretty cute about trying to keep up with mom and I loved watching her move. This is going to be so fun watching her grow up!



Copy cat
"Baby where are you going?!?!?!"
 
Baby gallop!
That trot!
And then poor mama got a bath





2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Those baby feet are too cute, and she does have a very lovely trot! Glad the trim went well:)

    ReplyDelete