Monday, October 23, 2017

Roller Coaster Ride

The horses are sure keeping me on my toes! It's been a roller coaster ride over here. I'm so, so, so busy right now in school and it's been insane so I think the horses think that they're not getting enough attention!

Jetta decided to colic last week and that same day, Maisie somehow got out of the pasture and the only way she could have done that is by jumping. There are no gaps, open gates, or anything. I guess she was bred to be a jumper?

I think Jetta was just eating too many apples and not drinking enough water with the temperature swing. My parents had the vet out and she tubed Jetta and gave her some fluids. She had decreased gut sounds which is always worrying. Maisie wasn't too much worse for the wear though she scraped up her legs jumping the fence. No idea why she did it, but luckily all the scrapes were superficial.

Maisie's cut leg from a week or so ago is trying it's best to granulate to the extreme so we've resorted to pressure wraps and cortisone cream to try to keep it down. Fingers crossed! She's become a pro at bandage changes though, I don't even have to halter her!


Trying on her new rope halter!

Naughty baby

Cute baby

She's so big she has to contort her neck to reach the udder lol

  

Size comparison:
Birth (top) and just over one month old (bottom)

Almost 3 months old!

Trask has been by alternating days, amazing or awful. Some days we have fantastic rides where I can barely believe he's only 4 years old and other days I get off and am ready to give him back. I think part of it is due to the weather change - cold air is good for being spunky! But he's also just a growing baby and you have to test the boundaries every so often. Our canter is coming along for the most part (except when it isn't) and our shoulder-fore has progressed to some real shoulder-in and we even had a pretty good start to haunches-in the other day!



He's developing so nicely!

He has also been trying his hardest to destroy all the blankets. I put a cooler on him the other day after a bath - it has chest, belly and leg straps so I've left it on Jetta many times - and he SHREDDED it. Completely gone, he bit at it and tore it to pieces. I got him a turnout sheet since KP only has a medium-weight blanket for him and it's not quite cold enough for it yet and he has since bitten two holes in the chest of it. We'll see how long it lasts... little stinker.

Trask - 2, Blankets- 0


10 comments:

  1. Wow! Maisie has grown a ton! What a pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lawd. Horses always keeping us busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They never fail to find something to keep us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, girls stop making your Mom worry! Maisie is going to be huge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big baby!! I hope her cut stops its granulating nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My horse, Levi, destroyed 4 different winter blankets last year. The last one I just duct-taped back together because I was sick of fixing and replacing them. The duct-tape actually lasted. This year I just bit the bullet and bought the smartpack 10 year guarantee one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he was my horse I would definitely be tempted to get one of those blankets!

      Delete