Monday, January 23, 2017

Baby Update

Can't believe Jetta is quickly approaching the half-way point of her pregnancy! Yesterday we hit the 150 day mark so I now have a bunny-sized little nugget growing away.

The baby is starting to grow hair on its face and even sprout little eyelashes!

Jetta has had her first Pneumabort vaccination (EHV-1 vaccine) and recently upgraded to a much better quality hay (which she definitely appreciates but holy smokes that sucked getting the bales into the loft at the barn). Loft storage always seems like a great idea until you have to move hay and feed into it.



There is still so much time left until she foals and I'm still stressing out, though I'm sure I'll be worse as it gets nearer and nearer. I had the weirdest dream the other night where she foaled early (though still after the 320 day mark) and her foal came out a buckskin paint! I was so upset!

We haven't been doing too much lately with school and how cold it has been I haven't had much motivation, but it's been nice and warm the last couple of days! It was a balmy 52 degrees at the barn the other day, felt like spring almost!

Lots of lunging miss crazypants



I'm still not quite sure what I want to do with Jetta this spring and summer, then after she foals. I'm pretty sure my only option is to take Jetta to my parents once I'm out of school to foal. We've got a 3 acre pasture at my parents and a big foaling stall with a run. I need to get the grass tested for endophytes before moving her though, plus the fencing needs a huge re-haul. We may just move the round pen up to the barn to make a big paddock for her.

We'll see how comfortable she stays once her belly starts getting bigger to determine how much riding I'm going to be doing this spring.

My roommate said I can bring the foal to the house when I wean it. That way I can walk outside to play with it and it'll (hopefully) have another foal to grow up with. After Jetta's foal is weaned I'm thinking about moving to a barn close to the trails, where I can just walk across the road to them. It's a lot more expensive than the barn I'm at now, but they have great care and I think the turnout and trail access would be worth it for my 3rd and 4th year at vet school where I won't be riding much.

We shall see!

5 comments:

  1. New reader here, seems like I found your blog just in time for some exciting happenings though (: No stressing, Jetta will be a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Can't wait to meet the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay baby pony!
    A buckskin paint sounds kinda cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After owning four paints, I just can't handle the amount of cleaning they require! Lol

      Delete